Reverb Nation Flash Player (07.12.09 - 12.19.09)


Write%20Before%20Right%202
Quantcast

Reverb Nation Flash Player (12.19.08 - 07.11.09)


Write%20Before%20Right
Quantcast

3/24/09

Black Swan 03.24.09


There is something nice about 'performing' in the studio.  This is something I've come to realize over the last 90 days.  Really getting a good, natural, energetic take is very difficult to do and further emphasizes the need for practice.  Unfortunately, I don't have to time to rehearse these songs over and over before I record them.  I am however, trying to reduce the editing, the takes, and the plug-ins to get a good track.  I'm really trying to learn how to perform on the microphone in the studio as opposed to the stage.  I guess the biggest difference is the audience.  There's usually nobody, or very few people in the studio.  

I have also been trying to get the best overall sound with my recordings during this project.  But, you know, there is something great about lo-fi recordings.  I don't know what it is, but there can be so much vibe to lo-fi stuff.  Part of that has to do with the actual music, of course, but still... I recently read an article by my good friend Evan Setzer about the great sound of a band called Katamine.  Apparently, there sound is very lo-fi and very awesome!  Check out Evan's blog on the left side of my site.  There's a link you can go to.

I recorded this song using only 1 mic.  My Rode K2 Tube Condenser was set to omni and positioned just to my right-- between me and the piano.  There was no editing or anything like that.  Just one take straight down... I used 1 eq plug in to take out some of the low end on the piano.  I also used a compressor to bring the overall volume up to my other songs... I hope you like it... 

1 comment:

lindseybeekman said...

i love this one. keep it up.

Post a Comment

Write%20Before%20RightQuantcast